Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Office

For anyone who has ever watched "The Office" and laughed at the seemingly ridiculous scenarios, I would have to say that the office I work in could compete. With a wide range of characters and never ending ridiculousness, just sitting at my desk can turn into an entertaining episode on a daily basis.

Just yesterday, pink, red and white roses beautifully arranged in a vase were delivered to my manager. I've never seen flowers delivered to a man in a public place before, but it was everything I'd imagined. His flaring nostrils doubled in their circumference, his face turned red, and he quickly put the flowers under his desk on the floor and almost completely out of sight. He then opened the card and found an anonymous note, with some kind of message, which he wouldn't share with us.

To a woman, this would've been a wonderful treat. Gorgeous flowers to proudly display on her desk, enjoying every time someone would ask, "Who are those from?" and "What's the occasion?" with thinly veiled jealously.

But to a man, it was like being, well, sent flowers. At work. In front of a lot of people. I had to chuckle to myself as the story spread around the office, with everyone speculating who sent them, why the note was anonymous, blah, blah, blah.

As the afternoon went on, I walked by my manager's office on my way to the break room and noticed a ProFlowers box on the floor. Then, like a flashback in a movie, I remembered I had seen the woman in the next desk over from me looking at that web site yesterday, trying to hide her unlawful internet browsing with her empty potato ole's container and Big Gulp of Mountain Dew. But I was on to her now.

A few hours later, I see the secret flower sender carrying the flowers to her desk saying in a huff, "Well, if he doesn't want to put them on his desk, then I'll put them on mine." The ladies around her laughed, but I sat in my grey swivel chair with a knowing smile on my face.

Well, being that you're the one that bought them, I can see how you'd be wanting to see your $50 flower arrangement.

Then, she sat and turned to me and said, "Gosh. I wonder who would send those to him." 

"Yeah, me too..." I paused for emphasis. "And I wonder why someone would send those. It's kind of...weird."

She looked off into the distance and said, "Yeah, sure is."

No comments:

Post a Comment