Sunday, February 19, 2012

Ode to the Vodka Tonic



Vodka Tonic

1 ounce vodka
1.5 ounces diet tonic
1/2 lime, cut into wedges

Pour vodka and tonic into a glass with ice. Squeeze lime wedges into drink, then toss in. Stir. 95 calories.


Nothing says Saturday night sitting on the couch watching Dateline like a vodka tonic. Light, refreshing and bubbly, this low calorie drink has it all. Class. Ease. Non-staining if dropped. Quick to the blood stream. It can't be beat.

The vodka tonic combination is quite amazing. Somehow the combination of two terrible tasting items, vodka (ew) and diet tonic water (gross) mixed together become amazing. A little like stray dogs and sweet and sour sauce. I can't explain it. And I don't want to.

And my husband found this out yesterday.

"Can I take a drink of this?" He asked, picking up the bottle of diet tonic water off the counter. "I don't think I've ever had it."

"Um. Sure...but you're not going to like it," I said.

He unscrews the lid, takes a swig, then makes a face as he chokes it down. "That's disgusting!"

"Um, yeah. I told you you wouldn't like it," I told him, chuckling. 
 
He then proceeded to try to wash the taste of his mouth out with scotch. It didn't help. He learned his lesson: Tonic without vodka is like a Lifetime movie without a love triangle between a stalker, an inappropriate masseuse and Eddie Cibrian. It just doesn't work.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment