Saturday, July 28, 2012

Clean Quinoa Crackers


Chips and crackers are my down fall. Salty, crunchy, and addicting, I have a hard time eating just a couple. I like to compare it to cocaine. No, I don't sniff them, but given the chance, I would probably try. 

In order to quell this addiction and yet still eat healthily, I decided to make my own crackers with only healthy ingredients. No, they don't taste like Wheat Thins. But they are healthy and have that salty crunch, so they make an excellent substitution.

Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa, uncooked, then prepare per directions on box
1 cup brown rice, uncooked, then prepare per directions on box
2 tablespoons dried rosemary
1 teaspoon pepper
Sea salt to taste

Preheat the oven to 365 degrees Fahrenheit.

Put rice into a food processor, and chop for about 30 seconds until the grains are no longer visible. Add the quinoa and pulse for about another 10 seconds until mixed. You might have to do in two batches, like I did, doing only half of each at a time.

Add the rice and quinoa mixture to a medium bowl. Add in the rosemary, pepper and salt. Stir to combine.

Spray a metal non stick cookie sheet (I used an 17.25 x 11.5) and a spatulata with olive oil or Pam until coated. Using the sprayed spatula, spread the mixture into a thin layer completely covering the cookie sheet. I covered a 1 cup measuring cup with plastic wrap and used that to even out the mixture into a thin layer.

Sprinkle with more sea salt and pepper if desired.

Pop in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. When done, it will be light brown and crispy. I used a pizza cutter to cut it up into squares about 20 minutes in to the cooking time to let the middle pieces get extra crispy.


This is what it looked like after I spread it into the pan.



The finished product! This is only about half of what the recipe actually made, but my husband and I ate a bunch of these right when they came out of the oven. We topped them with mozzarella cheese and washed it all down with some Pinot Noir. YUM!

1 comment:

  1. Silver Wedding Ring | Etsy
    Silver Wedding Ring. From the microtouch solo titanium beautiful Silver titanium wood stoves Ring ford escape titanium to the beautiful Silver Wedding Rings and 2021 ford escape titanium hybrid the unique Silver Ring to a  Rating: 4.3 · ‎7 votes mens titanium necklace

    ReplyDelete